Monday, October 15, 2012

Addendum: Decorating and Styling to Distract


I came across this photo on Pinterest the other day and think it is absolutely the perfect addendum to my post "Decorating and Styling to Distract."

This kitchen looks pretty vintage to me.  By that I mean a tad old.  But with that fantastic navy paint on the back wall (notice how it disguises the wrinkled walls and pipes in the upper right hand corner) and those beautifully styled open shelves, you don't notice the other everyday cabinetry, counter top, stove, etc.

Look how the door on the left has been painted the same color.  And what about that pretty blue and white chair?  Does it always sit in front of the door?  Not likely, but a what a great way to bring a little extra pattern and color closer to the floor for the photo.  The gigantic vase of branches on the right provides the connection between the top and bottom of the photo (and might just disguise some kind of appliance behind it too).

Whoever designed this kitchen turned plain into fancy with a bit of paint and some amazing styling.  He/she deserves big kudos!  

Missing a source on this one. Can anyone provide the link?

14 comments:

  1. Here's a post that has two different photos of that kitchen as well as someone's kitchen who used it as inspiration for their own kitchen makeover: http://sixflightsup.blogspot.com/2012/03/room-reveal-my-kitchen.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This photo, to me, embodies a kind of approach that I love: putting money and time in elements that you value. Clearly, the tenant of this apartment wanted to make a visual impact. He/she chose to display a collection of toleware and a beautiful chair, and not spend $$ on new cabinets, fancy lighting or a snazzy ceiling fan. Very smart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Ashley. This kind of decorating takes, in my opinion, 20 times more creativity that sinking a bunch of money into redoing the entire kitchen. And the result is much better too. One-of-a-kind.

      Delete
  3. It's T. Keller Donovan I think? And even the crummy ceiling fan manages to look OK! Camille, maybe I should go dark in the beach house kitchen? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacqueline, leave it to you and Steve to know the designer. I think going dark in your kitchen would depend on how much natural light you get. If it doesn't get much, I say embrace the fact and go dark!

      Delete
  4. You are smarter than the average bear. You have x-ray vision.

    Now I have to go follow Steve's links.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant! Man, I completely agree w/Ashley's comment. This is about understanding the principles of design and embracing them. So clever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing. I live in an older home, so I'm always looking for ways to disguise its quirks and shortcomings! Thanks for sharing, Camille! Hope you're well. :)
    xo Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so right! My eye went straight to the gorgeous color and never left!

    www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used a this trick in my current home, where the original window and door trim was replaced in the 1060's with lack-luster, ranch-style trim. All the walls and trim are painted the same color, and the ugly trim just fades away. I chose a creamy shade of white, but even this soothing color works well for hiding things I don't want to accent. Your stool looks simply fabulous! Nicely done.

    xoxo,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't tell you the source but I remember seeing that photo a long time ago in a magazine. However, I never "saw" the photo the way I just did thanks to your fantastic insight. And everything you said is right on....love it! Thank you :)

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're so good at noticing all those details Camille!

    I thought of you this weekend when I went to check in on a client and her new ticking stripe shades. I posted a couple of bad quality pics for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kudos indeed! I didn't even notice those things until you pointed them out.
    Also loved what Ashley said, so true!
    Great addendum!
    Kelle
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish someone would just inject these ideas into my brain so 1. I never forget them and 2. Can come up with them myself. In the meantime, I love using your blog to educate myself! Genius idea- thanks for spelling it out to us!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading every comment.