Wednesday, March 13, 2013

A few recent projects for Walrus



Well, our little shop is doing pretty well! So well, in fact, that we are scrambling to keep up with inventory. It's not an easy to thing to  "man" a shop AND produce the inventory. Especially when you've still got your kids at home full time -- minus a few hours of preschool each week.  But somehow Wendy and I are making it happen.



 Anyway, I thought I'd share a few recent projects, like this industrial side table.  I found the card file at a salvage shop and was about to order hairpin legs for it to make it into a table when a friend of mine called and said she had some stuff to give us.  (Thanks, Monika!!) One of those things was a falling apart vintage side table with hairpin legs.  How's that for fortuitous?  The legs easily came off the old piece and Wendy cut the a new base out of plywood so I had something to attach both the card file and legs to.  This one sold quickly.  Industrial is still hot.


We're also doing a lot of custom work.  We recently got two of these broken antique chairs (both broken in the exact same place from years of right-handed folks pulling them out from a table.  The wood was literally split and pieces were missing.  They'd been tacked back together with nails, but eventually that didn't hold it together either.  Because the client asked us to paint them to match a set of her existing black chairs, I was able to screw the wood together using a counter-sink drill bit and then fill with wood filler.

Nothing a little paint can't cover.


The two chairs we were asked to match were painted with in glossy black, and I have to say that I am surprised by how this glossy paint looks on an old marred antique chair.  I love it.  If you look closely at the painted chair, you can barely see the fix.   A guest would never know it was repaired.

I'm normally against painting antiques, but when a piece is that broken, it's a good way to salvage a quality, real wood piece of furniture. Because otherwise it sits dusty and unused in the basement for 10 years -- like these did. :)

You wouldn't believe the support we're getting from our community.  Folks love that we repurpose and upcycle, so when they have furniture to get rid of, they often give it to us.  Complete strangers!


Take this solid wood two-drawer chest, for example.  A customer dropped by to browse and when he saw the kind of work we do, he showed up a few minutes later with a carload of furniture which he gave to us for free.  It included this office-y looking piece. 

 I transformed it into this with the help from my Cutting Edge inlay stencil:
I hadn't purchased the new pulls (vintage-y looking clear glass numbers) when I took this photo, but you get the picture.




I'm feeling particularly proud of this piece because it was pretty painstaking and I worked on it late nights to get it ready for Walrus before we headed out-of-town for a few days. 

Which is where we still are as I write this post.  With the stomach bug. :(

I'll try to be back soon with the next installment of my five favorite series.  I hope you'll understand if it's not until next week, though.








14 comments:

  1. Wow...love the painted inlay piece. It's gorgeous! Congrats on your successful business...very exciting:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That inlay peice is really nice!

    Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your pieces and congratulations on your business!!!

    Angela @ Number Fifty-Three

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You two have been busy! I can't believe how beautiful that inlay piece is. You have gotten really good at inlay stenciling. The indy side table is awesome too. Not surprised someone snatched that up. I need to come by the shop again and see how it's changed. I'm so excited and happy about how well it's going!

    So sorry you are feeling bad. The kids have been battling it around here too. Hopefully the warm waether will help us get rid of these germs.

    -Lane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not at all surprised that things are going well! But feel better soon! My only sadness is we are missing you out here in the blogosphere! And I have been dying to try my hand at inlay painting ever since Jenny at LGN did her dresser, and now yours has got me so excited. The offer still stands if you want some proper East Coast vacation this summer - bring the girls and mine will babysit while we sort out the kitchen and paint a dresser!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Camille!! You guys are on a roll. I have no problem seeing why the community is so behind you guys - you are doing amazing work. And that last piece, makes me want to drive across country to buy it. BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. your inlay piece looks AMAZING!!!!!! i am pinning it, so gorgeous! the colors you chose are spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so incredibly happy for you. I'm hoping I can make the trip to the Bay Area soon and come see you guys. I just love what you guys are doing. The inlay piece is really something special. Walrus is really something special and you and Wendy are really something special!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish you could see the enormous smile I have after reading this post, Camille. I'm SO happy that you and your partner are taking the world (okay, maybe Oakland at first) by storm. To those of us who love your aesthetic, your success is no surprise at all.

    And that upcycled chest? If you hadn't said it was the same piece, I never would have spotted it. What a total transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that stenciled piece! I wish I could afford inlay but since I can't I want to try that stencil. Good for you for doing such a stellar job! It is great. So glad the shop is going well. Keep up the good work!
    xo Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Camille that is a beauty...wow. You did a great job on it! Can't imagine how you find time for it all. So cool that the community is being so supportive.

    Hope the flu doesn't hang around too long so you can enjoy your time away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad to hear things are going so well and that the community has realy embraced your venture. I hope you're feeling better. Sheila had a 24 hour bug so hopefully yours was quick too. That last piece is a real beautiy but I also love the chairs that were painted black.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shut up....you are incredible. Hope by now the flu is gone:)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading every comment.